Monday, November 13, 2006

Weekend Getaway

I picked Sara up at the airport on Thursday night for our weekend together. We had many plans and were going to have a great time. We did have a good time but the whole weekend was overshadowed by the concerns we had over the disappearance of bk. We had received word on Thursday afternoon that he was missing and immediately our thoughts turned to the worst case. We then worked through the information we had and determined that it was all too much of a weird coincidence and put it in the back of our minds.

Sara and I spent Friday cruising around Calgary and left for Canmore Friday night without hearing any more news. We returned Sunday night and met my parents for dinner. At dinner I told them about bk's disappearance and they informed me that there had been news and it didn't look good. This made me feel very sick.

bk is one of my best friends. He was going to perform the ceremony for Sara and I back in October (before we had to cancel). I simply can't imagine why anybody would want to hurt him and it doesn't look like he was the victim of a robbery. We can hope that he's been kidnapped or just took off and that he's okay but I don't think that these are very likely things right now.

What makes me feel really sick is that if Sara had not been in town this weekend, I would have been over at his house on Wednesday to ride rollers. I could have been the one to discover this and I am so glad that I didn't. I feel very bad for Liane but I would not want to have been the one to have walked into the house. I just couldn't do it.

I hope more than anything that bk is okay and will be back soon. While some people were annoyed by his moods and antics, he was at heart a great guy who cared very much for his friends and family. He loved to ride his bike and cross-country ski more than anybody else I know and next to Al at Cadence he pulled the best shot in town. I really hope that I will get a chance to sit in his kitchen and drink another espresso with him soon. The time we spent riding rollers together was always fun and he kept me motivated to train.

Last winter, we would ride twice a week in his garage while listening to CBC Radio 3 or watching old Vuelta videos. On the weekends we would drive up to the nordic centre and ski for a couple of hours. He always encouraged me and helped me out when I needed it. For that I thank him.

Come home soon bk.



3 Comments:

Blogger Chelsea Klukas said...

In cases like this, it's hard to say anything that isn't ineffectual, but I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your friend.
In your last entry you posted the article about the discovered body-- are you still waiting on confirmation of the person's identity?

10:28

 
Blogger The Experience said...

Hi Chelsea. Thanks for the kind words. We still don't know what has happened to bk. Hopefully we'll find out soon. I'm still holding out hope that he is okay but it's getting harder.

11:01

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Experience,

This is incredibly frustrating, the sorrow we feel and the lack of information that is available. It doesn't seem real. In my mind it's still Thanksgiving weekend wishing we had an espresso in our hands to warm up. I'm still looking forward to catching up with my southern friend for his humour and perspective. This is quickly becoming a frightening reality. Please continue to keep us in Edmonton informed.

23:09

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

© 2006 The Experience | Blogger Templates by Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without permission.